Fingerprints A Drag
Good evening all,
This day was not quite what we expected, but that is what adventures are all about. I tweeked my lower back in the shower this morning, so instead of being on the road by 9:00 am, I was at the Chiropractor until 10:20. Once we got on the road it was smooth sailing (driving) to HomeLand Security. There we paid the $5.00 parking fee and went in. The lines were very short and I was thinking, great we'll be out of here in half an hour, until I turned the corner and saw how many people were waiting in the waiting room! We waited patiently for an hour. When they called our number they looked at the date on the invitation and said they would have to send us home. They were too busy and we would have to wait until our scheduled date, which is May 16th, the same date Russia has scheduled us to be there. We explained our situation and that we couldn't be in two places at once. How unreasonable! So they proceeded to set a date for when we return. We knew that was not going to do. We needed to have our Home Study completed ASAP. We left and headed for the WACAP office in Renton. I called Jamie on the cell and told her that Homeland Security sent us home. She said she had connections in Yakima and that she would call us right back. When she did we were two minutes from her office so we pulled in to pick up some documents to hand carry to her people in Moscow. She said her person called and that we were to go right back there and they would have our names and do our fingerprints that day. So we did. It feels funny to be a name dropper, but we said the name and that we were sent back by that person and they moved us to the head of the line. It is a still who you know and not what you know system. Fingerprints complete-misson accomplished. Now we are at our dear friend Liz's and she made us a terrific dinner. I got to ice my back, respond to e-mail, and write this blog. I love this blog thing because it gives us the opportunity to write to you all at once! I love hearing your comments. Thanks for all your warm wishes and bon vayages! Tomorrow we will be in the air at 8:00 am. See you in Moscow!
This day was not quite what we expected, but that is what adventures are all about. I tweeked my lower back in the shower this morning, so instead of being on the road by 9:00 am, I was at the Chiropractor until 10:20. Once we got on the road it was smooth sailing (driving) to HomeLand Security. There we paid the $5.00 parking fee and went in. The lines were very short and I was thinking, great we'll be out of here in half an hour, until I turned the corner and saw how many people were waiting in the waiting room! We waited patiently for an hour. When they called our number they looked at the date on the invitation and said they would have to send us home. They were too busy and we would have to wait until our scheduled date, which is May 16th, the same date Russia has scheduled us to be there. We explained our situation and that we couldn't be in two places at once. How unreasonable! So they proceeded to set a date for when we return. We knew that was not going to do. We needed to have our Home Study completed ASAP. We left and headed for the WACAP office in Renton. I called Jamie on the cell and told her that Homeland Security sent us home. She said she had connections in Yakima and that she would call us right back. When she did we were two minutes from her office so we pulled in to pick up some documents to hand carry to her people in Moscow. She said her person called and that we were to go right back there and they would have our names and do our fingerprints that day. So we did. It feels funny to be a name dropper, but we said the name and that we were sent back by that person and they moved us to the head of the line. It is a still who you know and not what you know system. Fingerprints complete-misson accomplished. Now we are at our dear friend Liz's and she made us a terrific dinner. I got to ice my back, respond to e-mail, and write this blog. I love this blog thing because it gives us the opportunity to write to you all at once! I love hearing your comments. Thanks for all your warm wishes and bon vayages! Tomorrow we will be in the air at 8:00 am. See you in Moscow!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home