A Gated Community
Okay, we are living in a gated community and John is constantly moving the gates up or down depending on where I am with the children. I am hopping over them most of the time with a baby in arms. My living room is strewn with toys from one end to the other, and those of you who know me well, know that really bugs me. My dining room table is a constant mess because John and I have managed to have every meal there with the girls. So the washcloth, bib, juice cups and other constantly used items are a permanent fixture.
Meals! Meals are difficult and if it wasn't for our good friend Jan bringing casseroles over I think John and I would starve. It is all we can do to feed the kids. We are still learning what they will eat and what they won't. The food must be there instantaneously or the baby screams with frustration, especially if Mama is in the kitchen getting her food. We have found that besides yogurt, Galina loves pickles, ketchup, blueberries, and pancakes. She is not very big on cheese, soup, or our bread. Valerie will eat almost anything I give her that is mashed up or tiny bite size pieces.
Nap time and bed time have been difficult. Both girls are having so much fun with Mama and Papa that nobody wants to go to sleep except us! We have a set routine and time, but that does not prevent the tears and cries. What works is to say good-night tuck them in with a kiss, and walk out of the room closing the door almost all the way. They will continue to cry, but not for too long. Soon we have our sleeping beauties, and mama and papa have some time to our selves.
We would say the girls have adjusted remarkably well. They visited Mt. View and met many of our friends their with big smiles and hugs. We have also brought them to our Shintaido group after their practice and they were absolute darlings with smiles, giggles, hugs and some good'ol group play. We have had friends over the house and they seem happy to see everyone. We are not worried about attachment or socialization in any way.
Galina is talking two word phrases in English and has use the sign for "more" . If she wants anything we give her the words to say and expect it from her. She always pulls through and says it. I am looking for the day when she does not have to be coached to do it.
Valerie babbles up a storm and we expect her to start off speaking English.
Meals! Meals are difficult and if it wasn't for our good friend Jan bringing casseroles over I think John and I would starve. It is all we can do to feed the kids. We are still learning what they will eat and what they won't. The food must be there instantaneously or the baby screams with frustration, especially if Mama is in the kitchen getting her food. We have found that besides yogurt, Galina loves pickles, ketchup, blueberries, and pancakes. She is not very big on cheese, soup, or our bread. Valerie will eat almost anything I give her that is mashed up or tiny bite size pieces.
Nap time and bed time have been difficult. Both girls are having so much fun with Mama and Papa that nobody wants to go to sleep except us! We have a set routine and time, but that does not prevent the tears and cries. What works is to say good-night tuck them in with a kiss, and walk out of the room closing the door almost all the way. They will continue to cry, but not for too long. Soon we have our sleeping beauties, and mama and papa have some time to our selves.
We would say the girls have adjusted remarkably well. They visited Mt. View and met many of our friends their with big smiles and hugs. We have also brought them to our Shintaido group after their practice and they were absolute darlings with smiles, giggles, hugs and some good'ol group play. We have had friends over the house and they seem happy to see everyone. We are not worried about attachment or socialization in any way.
Galina is talking two word phrases in English and has use the sign for "more" . If she wants anything we give her the words to say and expect it from her. She always pulls through and says it. I am looking for the day when she does not have to be coached to do it.
Valerie babbles up a storm and we expect her to start off speaking English.

5 Comments:
I'm glad to hear you're working on your hurdling :-)
I'm sorry we missed you on our trip to Bellingham! Thank you sooo much for leaving the DVD behind so we could all enjoy seeing you and John with your beautiful girls.
Meal times will get easier. No, really. You have to believe that! Also, I remember reading that kids need to taste new foods a large number of times before they will like them. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it was around 7-12. So, if there are foods that you think Galina should be eating, just try to continue giving her samplers from your plate and let her warm up to the new foods.
Oh, and nap time and bed time are always difficult. No child ever wants to go to sleep. They will always push to see how much they can get away with as my daughters prove whenever they stay at the Grandparents' or when they've had a sitter.
I wish you all tons of happiness and I look forward to the day our four girls can all play together.
By
Anonymous, at 7:23 AM
I've been out of town for the past few days and have been happily reading up on your story. The flight home sounded like a real trial... but you made it! I'm so glad that you're home with the girls and that you are settling in with them. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I look forward to reading more.
By
sandy, at 8:34 AM
Children in Russia eat a lot of porridge-like stuff, so soft mashed/guey (sp?) foods like cream of wheat and mashed potatoes might go down easiser with Galina. Especially if they are spiked with pickles or other condiments...
Breads in Russia are hard and chewy too, so soft american stuff does not taste and feel like a good old Russian bread. I am with her on that one! Keep trying.
Outdoor exercise is good for the appetite, sleep and mood :) - the more the better.
Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting where thrills and challenges are the order of the day (weeks and years :)).
Are you interested in Russian song tape ( I have found some)?
By
Anonymous, at 12:33 PM
I am a new reader. Thank you for posting info about your trip. I am glad the girls are doing well.
By
Melissa, at 3:14 PM
I'm so glad you're still posting. I won't get to see you as much this coming year but I'll be sure to stop by and at least see the pictures of your little family!!! We've missed you!!!
~Jodee and the girls
By
Anonymous, at 4:27 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home