Russian to Siberia

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Fun In The Sun

It was a very sunny, warm day today and when we went to the baby home to visit with our girls, they let us take them outside to play. All the new playground equipment had been installed in May. Galina played with papa on the new slide and climber. I held Valentina and then eventually got her to ride a small tricycle with me slowly pushing her. Galina hugs me tight and is willing to play with John for longer periods of time while I comfort her sister and take care of her. Valentina is definitely mamma's girl. During the middle of our play, I had to go to the bathroom. I handed Valya off to John while I went inside. Valya was not happy about that and she cried the whole time until I came out and took her. It was not a fearful cry, but an angry cry. As soon as she was back in my arms she quieted down and started smiling again. She likes swings and I pushed her on a very unusual swing that could hold up to five tiny children. They all sit side-by-side in a circle facing out and then the swing moves back and forth like a typical swing. I took some great pictures of the playground area and the other children playing. It's in film, so I won't be able to post them, but I know they are going to be cute.

We got to sit with the girls in Nicoli's van today. Nicoli is our driver and since we are traveling with Ann and Ned to and from Cherepanovo, we are using the large van. It is rather new and comfortable, but not compared to American standards. I brought Valya over to the van first. We banged on the hood a bit. She likes to bang on things with her hand. Nicoli opened the door for us and I put her on the seat. I thought this would bring a loud cry, but she was intrigued by the feel of the seats. They are velour. I climbed in with her and she was quite happy about that. Papa got Galina to come over and climb in with us. John then proceeded to walk around the van and pop up at different windows. Both of the girls were intrigued with this game and kept looking to see where he would pop-up next. Ann brought Constantine, their son, into the van with us. He was not too happy about that, but it didn't seem to disturb the girls. Galina had to learn not to throw her ball in the van. She has good aim and a strong arm and hit mama right in the face. The ball quickly disappeared. I asked Kate to tell Galina who our driver was and she bust into tears. I think she thought we were going to leave. At that point we all got out of the van. Now at least they have some exposure to it and hopefully they will not be as frightened when we take them home on Tuesday!

We took the girls inside for their snack time at 10:30. We are putting them on a schedule already. They each get a yogurt and a biscuit or two. Then we do a quiet activity until they are taken for their lunch and a nap which happens around 12:00 pm. Today's quiet activity consisted of John and our interpreter, Kate, reading a book called First Flight. It is about a little girl who takes her first airplane ride to grandma's house with her teddy bear. The pictures are darling and the words tell what you do on an airplane in very simple terms. Kate read it to her in Russian and then John showed her the video of the airplanes and the inside of the airplane where a little girl was finding her seat with her backpack. He filmed this on the way over here. It was perfect.

Constantine and his parents (Ned and Ann) all stayed in the same room with us, so there was some over-lapping of children interested in each other's toys. I found out how much Galina cares about her talking photo album. Constantine picked it up to look at it and she went right over to take it back. She had Constantine's case that he likes to carry around, so I had them do a trade. At another time she cleverly slipped her communication photo album under her legs as she was sitting on the floor, so that he wouldn't see it to take it.

At around noon, the care-givers came in to take them away. This would be our last visit before we pick them up. Galina was ready to go, but then the care-giver told her to hug mama. She hugged Ann first who was closer, then when the care giver pointed to me and I called her she came running over to me and threw herself in my arms and gave me the biggest hug ever. We are going to be a very happy family.

John and I were left with Valya for a few more minutes. Valya was tired, but happy to lay back in my lap and look up at me from time to time. I would blow in her face and she would giggle. John came over and sat in front of us giving Valya tickles on her tummy. She seemed so comfortable with both of us there. When they came to take her away, she cried. This is the first time she wanted to be with me more!

1 Comments:

  • I love all the thoughtful things you prepared for them. I so happy for all four of you.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home