The Week of Doctor Appointments
The new Farquhar family is doing very well. This week has been filled with
doctor visits.
Daddy's version:
On Monday, we spent more than three hours at the University of Washington
Pediatric Center where we met with a doctor specializing in Russian adoptees.
Today we spent another couple of hours with our local pediatrician getting an
introductory wellness check. Overall, the girls are very healthy and we are
extremely pleased with their doctors. On most of the growth charts the children
are below the 50th percentile, but this is very common for children coming from
an orphanage. The doctors are expecting growth spurts from both of them,
especially Galina. We already have some results back from some blood testing and
everything looks good there with the exception that Galina's iron levels are
borderline acceptable. So, we just need vitamins with iron for her. Earlier, we
put Valya on an antibiotic for a staph infection which cleared up. On Monday, we
began an antibiotic for Galina for an ear infection.
Now, on to the specialists.
It was recommended that Galina see a dentist right away. So, we have one
scheduled for Friday. Valya has a very noticeable wondering eye that will need
attention from an opthamologist. Our pediatrician had a single recommendation
and called ahead in order for us to get an early appointment. We also have
referrals for language development specialists and intend to get Galina in as
soon as possible.
Mommy's Version:
We love our doctors because they were so kid friendly and competent. The girls had a thorough examination at the UW with Dr. Davies. The hard part for Mom and the girls came when it was time for the TB test and their shots. Papa held Galina and she just howled in his arms. I felt horrible. Then it was Valerie's turn and I wasn't sure I could face the needles holding the baby, but then Valerie won't have anyone else hold her yet. So, here I go, I hold my child down while she takes the shots and screams in my arms. Now that was difficult! Then they send us to the lab to get their blood drawn. It was busy so we went out to lunch instead. Thank goodness. I needed the break and so did the girls. John is a trooper and takes care of all of us! We had a great lunch at a neat cafe that had outdoor seating.
Back to the lab for the blood draws. There was a fish tank their with some beautiful tropical fish in the waiting room. The girls ooohed and ahaaaed at the fish. Valerie actually squealed over them. I went to change Valerie's diaper when Galina got called in. They were gone when I got back, but then Galina came out crying and ran to Mama for mommy hugs. Then it was Valierie's turn and I went in with her. They had to take quite a bit of blood. I had to hold her down tight, I wrapped my leg around her's to keep her still. She screamed her really mad cry and let everyone know that she was not happy with this procedure. I just wanted to cry. When they were all done she hugged on to my neck so tight. I was so glad that she didn't hold it against me.
After all that we went to the Woodland Park Zoo and had a wonderful time enjoying the animals. We visited the farm section and then the zoomania where kids can play and learn about nature. It is a wonderful zoo and we all had a great time. The melt down for the two of them didn't happen until we got home and in the house. Thank goodness!
doctor visits.
Daddy's version:
On Monday, we spent more than three hours at the University of Washington
Pediatric Center where we met with a doctor specializing in Russian adoptees.
Today we spent another couple of hours with our local pediatrician getting an
introductory wellness check. Overall, the girls are very healthy and we are
extremely pleased with their doctors. On most of the growth charts the children
are below the 50th percentile, but this is very common for children coming from
an orphanage. The doctors are expecting growth spurts from both of them,
especially Galina. We already have some results back from some blood testing and
everything looks good there with the exception that Galina's iron levels are
borderline acceptable. So, we just need vitamins with iron for her. Earlier, we
put Valya on an antibiotic for a staph infection which cleared up. On Monday, we
began an antibiotic for Galina for an ear infection.
Now, on to the specialists.
It was recommended that Galina see a dentist right away. So, we have one
scheduled for Friday. Valya has a very noticeable wondering eye that will need
attention from an opthamologist. Our pediatrician had a single recommendation
and called ahead in order for us to get an early appointment. We also have
referrals for language development specialists and intend to get Galina in as
soon as possible.
Mommy's Version:
We love our doctors because they were so kid friendly and competent. The girls had a thorough examination at the UW with Dr. Davies. The hard part for Mom and the girls came when it was time for the TB test and their shots. Papa held Galina and she just howled in his arms. I felt horrible. Then it was Valerie's turn and I wasn't sure I could face the needles holding the baby, but then Valerie won't have anyone else hold her yet. So, here I go, I hold my child down while she takes the shots and screams in my arms. Now that was difficult! Then they send us to the lab to get their blood drawn. It was busy so we went out to lunch instead. Thank goodness. I needed the break and so did the girls. John is a trooper and takes care of all of us! We had a great lunch at a neat cafe that had outdoor seating.
Back to the lab for the blood draws. There was a fish tank their with some beautiful tropical fish in the waiting room. The girls ooohed and ahaaaed at the fish. Valerie actually squealed over them. I went to change Valerie's diaper when Galina got called in. They were gone when I got back, but then Galina came out crying and ran to Mama for mommy hugs. Then it was Valierie's turn and I went in with her. They had to take quite a bit of blood. I had to hold her down tight, I wrapped my leg around her's to keep her still. She screamed her really mad cry and let everyone know that she was not happy with this procedure. I just wanted to cry. When they were all done she hugged on to my neck so tight. I was so glad that she didn't hold it against me.
After all that we went to the Woodland Park Zoo and had a wonderful time enjoying the animals. We visited the farm section and then the zoomania where kids can play and learn about nature. It is a wonderful zoo and we all had a great time. The melt down for the two of them didn't happen until we got home and in the house. Thank goodness!

3 Comments:
I have cried with each set of shots the kids have had to have. I know it is the best thing for them, but it's so hard to forcefully hold them down while someone sticks a needle into their little bodies.
By
Anonymous, at 7:07 PM
Actually the fact that children scream and yell is and indication that they feel safe and processing the trauma as it happens. Does not sound ideal, but it is.
Empirically I noticed with Aaron and other children that if I let him scream it all out - no matter how disproportionate the intensity of his reaction to the actual hurt - he recovers so much more quickly.
Often doctors ask parents to leave the room, especially for more difficult procedures, because the child "behaves better when the parent is not around". Sure they behave better, but this is because they are simply terrified alone and do not have enough safety to voclize.
So I say - let them howl it out - and see the trauma exiting their bodies and minds with these howls.
Of course we, parents need a howl afterwards ourselves :) - preferably in the safe environment. When somebody holds us :).
By
Anonymous, at 3:20 AM
We just did the same - Dr. Davies, fishtank waiting room for blood draws, lots and lots of shots. So hard.
(I'm catching up on my reading.)
By
Suzanne, at 11:24 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home